Practice Focus and Experience
Marjorie Suisman practices in the Trusts and Estates area. She concentrates her practice in the areas of estate planning, estate and gift taxation, and trust and estate administration. Marjorie advises high net worth individuals in all aspects of personal planning matters, including wills and trusts, gifting strategies, wealth transfer strategies, individual trust administration, taxes, fiduciary investments, charitable giving, and the administration of estates. Her practice also includes succession planning for privately held businesses, estate planning for nontraditional families and the disabled, as well as serving as a professional trustee and as a consultant in the structuring of personal injury awards.
- Represents Kenny Cieplik whose 21 year disability has led him and his family to devote a great deal of energy to improving access to services for the disabled. Most recently, Kenny has started a website www.thetravelingwheelchair.com for people to visit, write reviews, and rate local venues on their wheelchair accessibility.
- Established trust and serves as trustee for Lawyer Johnson whose conviction for first degree murder was vacated and who was awarded a settlement to compensate him for injuries resulting from his twelve years of incarceration (as featured in the April 2007 issue of Boston Magazine).
- Created and serves as trustee of trust holding large products liability jury award for disabled plaintiff.
- Created private foundation and counseled client on best approach to carry out philanthropic goals.
- Advised unmarried couple on creative and tax efficient ways to dispose of property on death.
- Distinctions: Peer Review AV® Preeminent™ rated by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest bestowed rating; Massachusetts Super Lawyers, 2005-2013 (Top Women Attorneys in Massachusetts, 2013; Top 50 Women Attorneys in Massachusetts, 2012)
- Admitted: Massachusetts; Michigan; United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts.
- Member: Boston Bar Association; Boston Estate Planning Council; The Boston Probate & Estate Planning Forum; Family Firm Institute.
- Founding member of the Professional Advisors Committee of the Boston Foundation.
- Member of The Sarah Lawrence College Planned Giving Advisory Council.
- Audit, Investment, and Bill of Rights Dinner Planning Committees of the ACLU-MA.
- Former member of the Board of Directors of Massachusetts Advocates for Children.
- Completed ten years of service as a representative town meeting member
in Brookline, Massachusetts.
Publications and Speaking Engagements